The summer brings hot weather with it and for the most part it can be pleasant. Children can enjoy the outdoors on these long summer days out of school and out of the house. But dehydration and heatstroke are one of the hazards of summer people must keep an eye out for especially in the elderly and children whom are especially prone to them. Normally these hazards are outdoors but Jennifer Abma posted her scary episode of almost losing her daughter Anastasia to heat stroke in her own bedroom to share with everyone and prevent their children from dehydration and heatstroke.
On 14th of July in the evening Jennifer Abma went to check on her daughter Anastasia who was in the midst of a really deep nap. She found Anastasia drenched in sweat with a red face and hot to touch. She called an ambulance and it took her 20 minutes to awaken her. Jennifer Abma wrote of the minutes waiting for the ambulance as the scariest time. “I thought I was going to lose my child. There’s nothing scarier than not being able to wake your child up,” she wrote.
“The ambulance arrived quickly accompanied by investigators to check on the situation. Finding Anastasia had low blood sugar they gave her sucrose. The paramedics said she had heat stroke. This shows that you don’t need to be outdoors to get heatstroke. I don’t blame myself but I definitely want to learn from this and tell others to learn from this that heatstroke doesn’t just happen in a hot car there is a danger of heatstroke even in your house.”
“I’m still trembling and can’t imagine what would have been if I hadn’t checked up on my daughter. I feel G-d was with us and I’m grateful to Him that the emergency responders came quickly and gave my daughter the right treatment. From you the parents, I ask to keep an extra eye on your children this summer on these hot days we still have coming. Heatstroke can strike your child even in your own home without you noticing it.”