2. Did you know how many earthquakes occur every year? It is estimated that there are several million earthquakes in the world each year. Many of these earthquakes go undetected because they occur in remote areas, mostly under the sea, or have very small magnitudes. The USGS Earthquake Info Center locates about 20,000 earthquakes each year, about 50 per day. On average, about 60 earthquakes per year are classified as significant, with up to 19 classified as major.
3. Did you know a ten-year-old mattress weighs double what it did when it was new? This is due to debris that it absorbs over time. That debris includes dust mites, mold, millions of dead skin cells, dandruff, animal and human hair, pollen, dust, soil, sand, and a lot of perspiration, which the average person loses at a rate of a quart a day.
4. Did you know, an espresso has less caffeine than a cup of coffee? A cup of drip brewed coffee has about 115 milligrams of caffeine, an espresso about 80mg, while instant coffee has about 65mg of caffeine. Decaffeinated coffee is not totally caffeine free, containing about 3mg of caffeine.
5. Did you know the reason why old books have such a distinct smell is because hundreds of organic compounds breakdown in the pages over time and release chemicals that smell like vanilla, grass and almonds.
6. Did you know a banana is a happy fruit? Eating just one can help relieve irritable emotions, anger or depression.
7. Did you know that the average American drinks about 600 sodas a year.