World News
Trump Dismisses New Iranian Proposal: "A Paper That Has Nothing to Do With Anything"
Pakistan reportedly passed a new Iranian proposal to the U.S. aimed at advancing an agreement between Tehran and Washington. According to the report, Iran is committing not to produce nuclear weapons. The American president is expected to discuss the issue with the security cabinet.
- שלומי דיאז
- | Updated
Trump (Photo: Shutterstock)Reuters reported this afternoon (Monday) that Pakistan delivered an updated Iranian proposal to the United States, intended to move forward negotiations between Washington and Tehran. A Pakistani source told the news agency that the proposal was delivered last night and includes options for advancing talks on ending the war. According to the source, "We do not have much time. We need to act because the sides are changing their goals."
According to the report, the new Iranian proposal includes a commitment not to produce nuclear weapons. However, it does not address uranium, and it does not address the Strait of Hormuz.
In response, U.S. President Donald Trump told Fortune magazine: "The Iranians are screaming all the time. I can tell you one thing — they are dying to make a deal, and then they send a paper that has nothing to do with anything or with the deal we made in the rooms. And I say — are you crazy?"
It should be noted that Trump held a situation assessment yesterday with his national security advisers, and according to a report on CNN, another meeting will take place tonight. Sources familiar with the talks said the Pentagon has prepared a series of military plans in case Trump decides to renew the strikes.
Yesterday, the American president posted on his social media platform and wrote: "For Iran, the clock is ticking, and they had better move, fast, or there will be nothing left of them. Time is of the essence!".
As previously reported, the United States presented Iran with five main demands to advance an agreement. The terms: no payment of compensation or damages by the U.S.; removal and transfer of 400 kilograms of uranium from Iran to the United States; operation of only one nuclear site out of Iran's nuclear facilities; no release of 25% of the frozen Iranian assets; and making a halt in the fighting on all fronts conditional on negotiations taking place. The United States noted that even if Iran meets these conditions, the threat of an attack by the U.S. and Israel would still remain in effect.
Qatari network Al Jazeera reported, citing an Iranian source, that Tehran rejected the American proposal and offered a counterproposal that included five conditions that must be met before entering negotiations. The terms: an end to the war on all fronts; removal of all sanctions; release of frozen assets; compensation for war damage and losses; and recognition of Iran's sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.
עברית
