World News

Report: Iran Weighs Strikes on European Targets if War Resumes

Tehran reportedly considered attacking U.S. targets in Bulgaria and Cyprus if the war escalates, along with damaging communications cables in the Strait of Hormuz. Iranian officials warn: “Retaliation will not remain confined to the Middle East.”

aA

Iran prepared for the possibility that its conflict with the United States could expand beyond the Middle East, and considered striking American military targets in Europe if the war escalates. The British Financial Times reported this Wednesday morning, citing sources close to the regime in Tehran.

According to the report, Iran's planning examined American assets in southern and southeastern Europe, including specific targets in Bulgaria and Cyprus. One site under consideration was the Bezmer Air Base in Bulgaria. Last month, Sofia confirmed that U.S. refueling aircraft had used the base. Cyprus is also in the crosshairs, after a British base on the island was struck by a drone in March.

One source said: "Iran's message is clear: If U.S. President Donald Trump decides to escalate the conflict, retaliation will not remain confined to the Middle East. If the United States goes too far, Iran will defend itself at any cost, move beyond the region, and strike Europe as well."

Western officials are taking the scenario seriously, though they assess that Tehran's ability to operate in Europe remains limited. Experts pointed to the possibility that Iran could deploy medium-range ballistic missiles, including missiles from the "Shahab" series, against targets in the southern and southeastern parts of the continent.

Concerns grew in part following last month's attack on a U.S. base in Jordan, in which three soldiers were killed. Officials in the Tehran regime described it as the "most precise" long-range attack Iran had carried out, and said it was intended to send a message to European countries as well: "It can absorb missiles, and it should know where it stands in this war."

According to experts, attempted attacks carried out earlier this year against distant targets, including Diego Garcia, also indicate that Iran possesses weapons capable of reaching ranges of more than 2,000 kilometers.

The threat is not limited to airstrikes. According to the sources, Iran also considered the possibility of damaging underwater fiber-optic communications cables running through the Strait of Hormuz, as part of response scenarios in the event of escalation. This is another critical piece of infrastructure being considered alongside the possibility of attacking military targets. Meanwhile, talks on reopening the Strait of Hormuz remain stalled, and in Tehran, the sense is growing that another direct confrontation is only a matter of time.

Tags:IranUSAEurope

Articles you might missed