World News
ISIS-Inspired Cell Was Weeks From ‘Mass Murder’ on Manchester Jews, New Report Reveals
Undercover officer infiltration stopped planned assault on Jewish march, schools and community sites that judge said could have killed hundreds
- Brian Racer
- |Updated
Pro Palestine protest in Manchester (Shutterstock)A newly published report by the Community Security Trust (CST) has revealed how close Manchester’s Jewish community came to a mass-casualty terror attack, detailing a plot to use automatic rifles against Jewish civilians that was ultimately stopped by an undercover police operation.
Two Islamist extremists, Walid Saadaoui and Amar Hussein, were sentenced to life imprisonment on February 13 after being convicted of preparing terrorist acts. Saadaoui received a minimum term of 37 years and Hussein 26 years. Walid’s brother, Bilel Saadaoui, was jailed for six years for failing to disclose information about the plot.
According to the CST report, Manchester’s Jewish community, numbering approximately 28,000 people, was the intended target of what prosecutors described as a potential mass murder operation that could have become one of the deadliest terror attacks on British soil.
The pair planned to attack a future March Against Antisemitism in Manchester city centre, similar to one held in January 2024 that drew around 6,500 participants. They intended to use AK-47 Kalashnikov assault rifles and pistols to kill as many Jewish civilians and responding police officers as possible before driving to the heavily Jewish neighborhoods of Higher Broughton and Prestwich.
Those areas contain synagogues, Jewish schools and nurseries, yeshivas, kosher shops, community centers and care facilities. The men also discussed attacking an army base if they were not killed or captured.
During sentencing, Mr Justice Wall stated: “I am sure that you intended to use AK-47 Kalashnikov automatic weapons to launch a deadly attack on the streets of Manchester” and that the plan “would have led to the deaths of many people and serious injury to very many more.”
The report documents repeated hostile reconnaissance of Jewish sites. While walking past a Jewish school, Walid told the undercover operative: “This is a school this one. It is a school time. There is one hour and a half left. We will go to poison them; we will put poison in the water… Their children, their cars and their houses.”
On another occasion he declared: “It is a must that we grab a Jewish person and slaughter him and remove his head and wipe (the floor). Rub blood on my body with his blood and throw it away. That is the least we can do.”
Investigators also uncovered Islamic State propaganda material in the men’s possession, including nasheeds calling for Jews to be killed. Prosecutors established that both men were fervent supporters of ISIS ideology and expected to die as “martyrs” during the attack.
The report states that on May 8, 2024, the plot moved into its final operational phase. The men believed they had secured four AK-47 rifles, pistols, and hundreds of rounds of ammunition, which they thought had been smuggled into the UK through the Port of Dover. According to the judge, they were “very close” to being ready to carry out the attack, with the timing dependent only on when the Jewish community organized its next march.
That afternoon, however, Walid went to a car park in Bolton to collect what he believed were live firearms from the undercover officer. In reality, the weapons had been rendered safe and the entire transaction was under police control. As he took possession of them, counterterrorism officers moved in and arrested him.
In his sentencing remarks, the judge addressed the central motive of the attack: “You are antisemitic. You intended to target the Jewish community. Your conversations and postings make it clear how deep seated your hatred is for Jewish people.”
He also praised the undercover operative whose infiltration prevented the massacre, saying: “His is a dangerous and difficult job. He undertook it with great skill and patience. He saved many lives by putting his own on the line.”
Frank Ferguson, Head of the Special Crime and Counter Terrorism Division at the Crown Prosecution Service, warned: “This was a deeply disturbing plot inspired by extremist ideology. Had these terrorists succeeded, it would have led to mass murder and been one of the deadliest attacks on Jewish communities in this country.”
CST said the report underscores the persistent threat of anti-Jewish terrorism in the UK and the need for continued vigilance and security measures protecting Jewish life.
עברית
