Gunfire Erupts Near the White House; Suspect Is Neutralized

Dozens of shots were fired last night near the White House while President Trump was on site. The Secret Service and the FBI are investigating. The shooter was reportedly known to authorities as mentally unstable, and a restraining order had previously been issued against him.

Screenshot from the video documenting the shootingScreenshot from the video documenting the shooting
aA

An unusual shooting incident took place overnight (between Shabbat and Sunday) near the White House in Washington, while President Donald Trump was there. According to reports, a suspect approached a security checkpoint in the area and opened fire at law enforcement personnel. Reporters at the scene said they heard between 20 and 30 gunshots.

Secret Service agents returned fire and neutralized the suspect. He was evacuated to the hospital in critical condition, where he later died of his wounds. Fox News reported that a passerby was seriously injured during the exchange of fire. There were no injuries among law enforcement personnel.

An official told the Reuters news agency that the suspect was known to authorities as mentally unstable, and that a restraining order had previously been issued against him.

During the incident, journalists who were in the complex were instructed to shelter inside the White House briefing room. According to a report on CNN, Secret Service agents were heard shouting at them, "Get down!" and warning of an active shooter.

A White House official said Trump was not affected by the incident and received ongoing updates from the Secret Service. FBI Director Kash Patel said, "We are assisting the Secret Service in the investigation of the incident."

Tags:

Articles you might missed