In Israel a heat way is underway, temperatures on Shabbat were 350C and it may be hotter getting to 39 on Sunday and Monday. The Ministry of health publicized a list of heat wave survival tips:
To minimize getting harmed from the heat:
- At peak temperature hours a person should stay in an air conditioned place. The air conditioner needn’t be on all day but should definitely be on during these peak hours (11:00 am-4:00 pm).
- Fans may help lessen the feeling of heat but won’t help if the temperature is 350C indoors.
- During peak hours ‘triss’ window covers and/or curtains should be drawn closed to minimize heat buildup from the sun entering your home. This can prevent 80% of heat penetration to your home.
What to avoid during a heat wave:
- Avoid going outdoors during peak hours. Limit outdoor physical activities to either early morning or in the evening.
- If you must do physical activities make sure to drink water during those activities. Add 2-4 glasses of cold water to your normal daily intake.
If you must go outdoors:
- Make sure to wear a shade hat with a wide brim and wear sun-glasses, light colored light weight clothing. Use sunblock cream to prevent sunburn.
- Rest in the shade often.
- Drink a lot, 8-10 glasses of cold water: Avoid sweetened drinks and drinks containing alcohol or caffeine. Speak to your doctor if you need to minimize drink intake for health reasons.
- Eat light balanced meals.